ST3s: If there is going to be very little training time left before CCT when you come back from leave…
The process close to completion of training needs to be clearly planned which will include an ESR before going on leave so that the trainee is able to get CCT on time. If very little training time (less than 6 weeks) remains after an ST3 trainee returns from planned leave then
- The penultimate ESR (on the last page) should state that the trainee is (i) fully competent and (ii) is happy to recommend them for CCT once the remainder of their training time is completed.
- The penultimate ARCP (in the Additional Comments section of the ARCP form) should similarly state that the trainee is (i) fully competent and (ii) is happy to recommend them for CCT once the remainder of their training time is completed.
- During their time off, the trainee should be advised to continue to make some entries on their ePortfolio and gather evidence that they are (or remain) competent. However this cannot be mandated and can only happen with their consent. But we could ‘carefully‘ (mindful of employment law) make them aware that CCT could be delayed if they don’t engage.
- The final ESR should make reference to the penultimate ESR and the evidence after that date – hopefully indicating CCT recommendation.
- The final ARCP should make reference to the penultimate ARCP and the final ESR (in the Additional Comments section)as a basis for approving CCT recommendation.