A Worked Example
I started my ST3 post in Oct 2013 and I am part-time at 50%. My last proper ARCP was 17.6.2012. This was a transition review for ST2. I was Out of Programme after that for a career break. Another ARCP was completed whilst I was away on 27.06.13 – but that simply marked me off for ‘Out of Programme’ (OOP). What do I need to do?
- An ARCP marked off as OOP whilst the trainee was away is still considered and ARCP. The trainee does need an ARCP every year – if this falls on maternity or some other leave the trainee is given an outcome 8 – OOP and a further ARCP date is set, usually about 12 months after that.
- Remember, every trainee must have once ARCP every year – this should be roughly one year from the last ARCP – even if the trainee is not transitioning at this point.
- Of course, the trainee will need another ARCP near the time of ST transition (unless this is v. close to the other one, in which case it can be combined).
ST3-1 will be Oct 13-Oct14 @ 50%
For this period, one ES meeting every 6m segment of the post. But the trainee needs an informal ES meeting soon after they come back because they have been off for a while. The trainee also needs a progress ARCP and not a transition ARCP (as not moving up an ST stage).
- INFORMAL ES meeting within two months of the trainee’s return = Oct/Nov 2013 = to catch up and determine where the trainee left off. No need for a CS report. No need for any assessments or competency ratings; just a catch up and planning ahead session.
- Another INFORMAL ES meeting at month 5 = March 2014 = record in Educator’s Notes. Need a CS report and a pro-rata number of assessments done. Ensure log entries are on and ePortfolio up to scratch.No competency ratings required.
- PROGRESS ARCP = around one year after the last one – which in this case will be June 14 (last one was 27.06.13). As most ARCPs for most trainees happen in June, the local scheme can do this – but the trainee is advised to double check with the scheme to ensure everyone is in the know.
- OFFICIAL ES meeting at month 10 = August 2014 = record in the ES section of ePortfolio. Needs a CS report and the remaining assessments done. Ensure log entries good and ePortfolio up to scratch. Competency ratings are required. Fill in ‘The ES Workbook’ (see under Ed Supervision webpage).
ST3-2 will be Oct14-Oct15 @ 50%
For this period, one ES meeting every 6m segment of the post. Will need a progress AND a transition ARCP. The former because the last one was in June 2014 (needs another June 2015) and the latter because of completing the scheme in Oct (so needs one in Sept 2015).
- INFORMAL ES meeting at month 5 = March 2015 = record in Educator’s Notes. Need a CS report and a pro-rata number of assessments done. Ensure log entries are on and ePortfolio up to scratch. No competency ratings required.
- PROGRESS ARCP = June 2015 (i.e. one year from last one – last one was June 2014). As other trainees on the scheme usually have an ARCP at this time, it will be done locally by the scheme.
- OFFICIAL ES meeting at month 9 = July 2015 = record in the ES section of ePortfolio. It’s month 9 rather than the usual month 10 because the trainee will be completing in Oct 2015 – which means an ARCP needs to be done 2m before (i.e. August 2015). This means the ES meeting cannot happen in month 10 (also August!) because it has to happen before the ARCP! Yes – it is all rather complicated. Anyway, this official ES meeting will require a CS report and the remaining assessments done. Ensure existing log entries good and ePortfolio up to scratch. Competency ratings are required. Fill in ‘The ES Workbook’ (see under Ed Supervision webpage).
- TRANSITION ARCP (for CCT) meeting at month 10 (2 months before CCT date which is Oct 2015) = Aug 2015 = inform Deanery as they will organise your ARCP (because you are out-of-sync). Need to ensure all the evidence up to scratch and ePortfolio looks super good to ensure CCT.