Teaching Consultation Skills
- assessing communication as a clinical competency – why bother.pps
- consultations – some statistics.doc
- does teaching communication skills make a difference.pdf
- evidence – for problems in dr communication skills.doc
- using the clinical consultation as a learning opportunity by london deanery.pdf
- why study communication skills.ppt
If you have files you would like me to host on here and share with others, OR if you would like to help develop these pages further, then please email me.
Some evidence for those who need convincing
Some people (incorrectly) believe that communication skills cannot be taught. Either you are naturally good at them or you are not. This is utter non-sense and there is a wealth of evidence that NOT ONLY shows that certain types of communication skills make a MASSIVE difference to the doctor-patient consultation but that such skills CAN BE TAUGHT and therefore LEARNT. And here are some resources highlighting the research papers for those that need convincing.